Re: UTLX Tankcars

Richard Hendrickson

I was looking through my new Precision Scale HO & HOn3 Passenger and Freight
car Super-detailing Parts and Kits Catalog and on page 45 I came upon two
UTLX tankcar kits. Kit one is a frameless tank car and kit 2 is a narrow
frame tank car. I was wondering what prototype class this car is, if any?
I assume that the kit is for an early prototype but would like to know for
sure. I am always looking for appropriate tank cars to add to my circa 1957
fleet.

Brian J Carlson P.E.
Brian, both kits are for narrow gauge cars as used on the D&RGW 3' gauge
lines in the 1930s through '50s. There is also a standard gauge kit for
the frameless car, which is essentially the same kit but with (incorrect)
standard gauge trucks. When the Rio Grande needed NG tank cars in the
'30s, UTLX fashioned them by modifying standard gauge Van Dyke frameless
cars, so Prec. Scale has reversed the prototype process in this regard.
Some years ago I used a PC kit to model a standard gauge Van Dyke car and
wrote an article about it, but that won't help you any because the Van Dyke
cars (UTLX class V) were all retired by 1953, though the versions with
steel center sills lasted much longer than that.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520