Re: Early 1900's Wood Freight Cars

Bob Webber <rswebber@...>

You'll never do it. There is no "G" scale (that is really adhered to). There is a "G" gauge.

Which "G" scale would you be working in? 1/32? 1/29? 1/24? 1/22.5? 1/20.3 (which is "F" scale)? 1/18? All are scales that run on "G" gauge. And there are more.

Having said that, you can get some of the Gregg reprints or the White book and that will provide you the basic information. But, it all depends on the specific model you wish to build. The method of underframe construction especially changed from manufacturer to manufacturer. And draft gear and sides.

Now, if you were to build narrow gauge cars, Hartford cars are pretty close to board on board construction, and produce beautiful models. And they may be a good first project to get a taste of what is involved. in fact, they had, at one time, an economy ACF flat or box that would be an ideal candidate.

Dave Grandt had the best depiction of G Scale yet - some one asked him for a G scale ruler. He picked out a rubber band, and flexed it and said: "Here it is - tell me where you want to stop".

At 02:19 PM 4/26/2004, you wrote:
I'm sure someone in the group can quite easily answer this question.

What cyclopedias/books are available that show accurate wooden car
construction, including the frames, sides, everthing actually.

I want to begin building exact "G" scale models of wooden freight
cars, cabooses, etc.

Also, when did all-wood, general car-construction tend to cease.

Paul Hillman