Re: Early 1900's Wood Freight Cars

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Paul Hillman wrote:
I'm sure someone in the group can quite easily answer this question.
What cyclopedias/books are available that show accurate wooden car
construction, including the frames, sides, everthing actually.
All of them up to, say, 1912. And also look for Train Shed No. 29, William Voss's book, Freight Cars, 1892. It's a wonderful source.

Also, when did all-wood, general car-construction tend to cease.
Well, what do you mean by "all-wood?" Do you include truss rods? The NWP built at least one flat car in their own shops in 1924 which was all-wood except for truss rods and details.
But generally, the steel underframe (or, as Richard H. said, the steel draft sill) came in very strongly circa 1905 as the new, larger locomotives with potent air brakes and knuckle couplers were pulling apart those old wood underframes. You can, of course, find exceptions to any rule and I wouldn't doubt that some backwoods operation somewhere built all-wood equipment as late as WW II or later. But if you want a realistic date, I'd say 1905 to 1910.

Publishers of books on railroad history