Re: Early 1900's Wood Freight Cars

Bob Webber <rswebber@...>

At 07:28 PM 4/26/2004, you wrote:
But, first of all I would like to assemble more information on
actual prototype car construction, and then go from there with the
greater question of "scale".
Paul Hillman
The most readily available information on wood freight car construction is going to be D&RGW narrow gauge cars - simply because they have lasted in their semi-original (if they can be called that) state for so long. The construction details and methods are identical - which is why I suggest Hartford, because in that scale/gauge/ size? you'll find that the kits have the best information as to construction details as well as kit details.

The reason I say that these are the most readily available is that you can find the plans down to the nuts and bolts level rather easily, and people have been making contest grade models of them for some time - there is nothing like a stock car in that size! But even a simple flat car can be fun, and there is at least motive power to run with it. Of course, there is motive power for the large scale standard gauge too - BUT, the steam power for those scales are mostly late steam and would not be likely seen toting an all wood car around.

BTW, Hartford now has passenger car kits too. Now, if you want to just dip a toe in - Hartford makes some of the original 1880's two axle cars that will at least give you the flavor of the beast you're looking at. Maxwell and others have plan packs for specific models and are on the web. Aside from that, White, Gregg and the reprints of the car encyclopedias of the 1880's and earlier are going to be the best bets.