Re: the freight car colour subject

Schuyler Larrabee

Mostly, I've decided not to participate in these
threads, since I >know< what's right, and the rest
of you can form your own erroneous opinions
without my help . . . 8^)))

But Dave in this message has made more sense to me
than the vast majority of previous posts. He's
analyzing the color WITHOUT regard to the light
impinging on the surface. Now, yeah, he's in
trouble already because he's analyzing the color
from a photo, and there's all the variabilities
introduced by THAT process, but at least he's
analyzing the color of an image he accepts as
"correct."

It has always seemed to me that if you mix the
colors to be "correct" in daylight, and then take
the model into a fluorescently-lit room, the
colors will be perceived as "correct under this
lighting." After all, everything else there is
also being seen under the fluorescent lights, and
they, too, are driven off "correct" to "correct
under this lighting" just as much as the model's
color. Now, maybe my eyes aren't clicking on all
8 cylinders (or color perception mechanisms), but
to me, if it looks all right in daylight, my eyes
will accept the changed conditions under the
fluorescents.

Anyway, proper models are weathered and that
changes the whole game a great deal.

SGL

From: Rob Kirkham [mailto:rdkirkham@...]

Another way of puting the question is this: If I
accept that
the perception of colour is variable, that
colour is
fluctuating in light and with weather and
weathering, with
dust and grime and with the paint mix and
changing chemistry
over the decades, etc, etc., is it reasonable to
conclude
that the subject is a hopeless one, not worthy
of any study?

Yahoo! Groups Links