Re: Sylvan Gondola Ends

Ian Cranstone

On 1-Jun-04, at 12:04 PM, Garth Groff wrote:

Dear friends,

The Sylvan web sites lists the following part: Mill Gondola Ends DP-0059: $3.95 CDN, $3.25 US. HO-Scale

The listing is found at: http://www.isp.ca/Sylvan/detail.htm

Has anyone here ever used these parts? I am wondering if they might be useful for replacing the PRR style ends that come with Eastern Car Works' 65' AAR mill gondola.
I haven't used them, but I believe these are probably a re-release of the old Dan Kirlin parts (originally released under the Canadian Model Railway Parts Guild name?). Some years ago, Clare Gilbert (Sylvan) purchased the patterns and rights from Dan Kirlin for his various ends/roofs/doors etc., intended to convert U.S. prototype cars to those built by various Canadian builders which had their own unique ideas in terms of these parts.

If so, these gondola ends were intended to replace the PRR ends that you mention on the ECW gon to make it a better replica of cars built by Canadian Car & Foundry in 1958 for CNR.

Ian & Katherina Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada
lamontc@...