Re: Sylvan Gondola Ends

Ian Cranstone

On 1-Jun-04, at 3:21 PM, Garth Groff wrote:

I'm not familiar with the CC&F cars you mention, but I gather from your
comments that they were considerably different from the AAR long
gondolas. Right? This would make the Sylvan end no better than retaining
the ECW PRR castings.
In this case I think CC&F just copied an American design, given that this was the first order ever for 65' cars in Canada (200 cars for CN in 1958, and two smaller groups of 50 cars for CP in 1957 & 1958). Existing Canadian-style gondola ends probably weren't sized for the narrower longer car, and for only 300 cars over two years CC&F may well have opted to buy parts off the shelf. I don't have data on the AAR cars handy, so can't compare them very well.

I wish I could offer more conclusive info -- perhaps you could try emailing Sylvan and see if a photo is available?

Ian & Katherina Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada
lamontc@...