Re: Digest Number 1874

Don Valentine

Quoting Indian640@...:

I've mentioned grit blasting with Aluminum Oxide to preparer brass, but
I recently learned that commercial auto paint strippers use baking soda to
"blast" clean old Corvettes for restoration. Evidently the grains of baking
soda "explode" on impact and that is the mechanical means for paint removal
and surface preparation. I assume that this means there in no reuse of the
medium, but for those using blast cabinets [as do I] the soda medium may be
worthwhile experimenting with for preparation of plastic models. I would
hesitate to try any method as violent as blasting on resin models, however.

Mal Houck

I have used and sold the North Coast Prototype blaster line since John P.
first offered them to the hobby when?, ten to twelve years ago?? In any case
they certainly are a good tool for those of us willing to make the investment
in such things. While not having used one on resin models, I wouldn't hesitate
to try. The pressure should be dropped some to get a feel of how to handle any
non-metal item but they work well on plastics and, thus, may work well on
resins also. I have found, for example that decals and pad printed lettering
can sometimes be removed from a plastic model without major damage to the paint
underneath by careful use. Often only weathering is needed rather than a whole
repaint. It is not for the faint-hearted, however. A side benefit noted when
cleaning one plastic model some time ago was that a little more aggressive use
on plastic with aluminum oxide grit that has been used awhile is that it
removed just enough material from overly large rivets to reduce them to a
more acceptable size.

Don Valentine