Re: lead shot


Schuyler Larrabee
 

Well, I DO have clean hogs . . . 8^)

I ain't taking chances. There are other easier,
better methods. And there are other opinions
about lead in vapor form from melted lead.

SGL

-----Original Message-----
From: Anthony Thompson
[mailto:thompson@...]
Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 3:14 AM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re:lead shot

Let's go easy on all this lead business. It
is TOXIC. Eats your
brain. Sure you can wash your hands after
you've been working with
it, but that's not sufficient. It's absorbed
through the skin, it
emits vapors from being handled, and if you
melt it, as some have
suggested for lost-plaster casting, it's
vapors are
absorbed directly
through your lungs. Lead dust from filing and
cutting it gets into
your body via lungs, mouth, and skin. And it
doesn't go away.
Once it, it ain't coming out.
This is mostly hogwash. Lead's vapor
pressure, even in
the liquid state, is remarkably small and lead
vapor is most
certainly NOT a danger. It does NOT emit vapor
as a solid.
Lead compounds can in some cases be absorbed by
the skin, but
metallic lead is not dangerous in that way. The
one real
danger in this list is lead dust from filing,
which is
dangerous to ingest. I fully support warnings
about dangerous
aspects of modeling, but this one "ain't coming
out" correctly.

Tony Thompson Editor, Signature
Press, Berkeley, CA
2942 Linden Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705
www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail,
thompson@... Publishers of books
on railroad history



------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
--------------------~--> Yahoo! Domains - Claim
yours for
only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/9Mt
olB/TM
--------------------------------------------------
------------
------~->


Yahoo! Groups Links


STMFC-unsubscribe@...


Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.