Re: Gun Flats

Richard Hendrickson

Paul, I have only one photo of these cars, showing PRR 435362 in the early
1940s, and it isn't loaded. However, the cast steel trucks are clearly
shown; they're basically a heavy duty, six-spring version of the PRR 2DF4
(or ARA Type Y). Probably the closest model truck in HO (not very close)
is the Eastern Car Works 70 ton truck. You can get a copy of the photo
from Jay Williams, who advertises regularly in Mainline Modeler as Big Four
Graphics. And I agree that the Tichy 100 ton arch bar truck is as close as
you're going get in HO scale to original trucks with which these cars were
delivered.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520