Re: BLI Hopper Mods

Andy Harman <andy10@...>

At 07:48 PM 7/13/2004 -0400, you wrote:
I too like the Accumate scale coupler. I did not like the Accumate standard
coupler. All too often it would jam open. The narrow draft gear box on the
scale version seems to prevent this. Thus I see little downside to this
scale size, good looking coupler. The Kadee 58 has a noticeable gap between
the knuckle and the "fist", which is why I have stopped using them.
Actually this has been fixed. If you buy #58s in packaging printed with
black ink, instead of the red/orange, you'll get the newer ones. I can't
tell any difference in performance but the revised ones look much better.
The only thing that detracts from the appearance is the coil spring (which
is blackened, rather than bare copper), and the width of the draft gear. I
assume the #78 head has had, or will have, this modification. I have
already installed the earlier gap-jaw 58s on 30-40 pieces of rolling stock
but oh well - at least they corrected this early in the game. I really
want to use 78s on locomotives, especially those where I need to do some
reworking of the pilot anyway.

Andy