Re: Gun Flats

Paul Kattner

I'm glad to hear that there is one of these still extant. I may
have to
make a pilgrimage this summer. Can you tell me what and where the
MC&CL
is?
The MC&CL (Mason City and Clear Lake) flat is usually located at the
Iowa Traction Railroad shops in Emery, Iowa which is half way between
Mason City & Clear Lake. this railroad is notable as being one of
three common carrier freight railroads still using 600 volt DC
overhead wires. It has a small fleet of Baldwin-Westinghouse
Steeplecab 50 & 60 ton locomotives. The F23 flatcar still has its
heavy duty Archbar trucks and was acquired (alledgedly LaSalle &
Bureau County style) before WWII. From the late 60's to a couple of
years ago, this car sported a large platform for working on the
overhead wire. This platform was removed and mounted on one of the
other IATR flats. The cities of Mason City and Clear Lak, Iowa are
located at the Junction of U.S. Highway 18 & Interstate 35 in North
Central, Iowa.

And remember that you can't put a trolley pole on a Pennsy flat,
you have
to use a pantograph.

Byron Rose
Funny