Re: Truss Rods

Don Valentine

Quoting Clyde Williams <billdgoat@...>:

--- In STMFC@..., "Jacque Burgess" <jacque@y...> wrote:
Truss rods were about 1" or so in diameter. They typically
terminated at the
end sill, with pedestals situated over the bolsters to transfer the
load
onto the bolsters. They were also forged to a larger diameter so
that the
threaded portions were still full diameter.

Brass wire measuring .011" in diameter would duplicate these truss
rods but
I'd suggest using fishing monofilament instead....it is much easier
to work
with and won't form unrealistic sags or buckles. Fishing line is
typically
sold by the tensile strength....i.e., 10 lbs or 2 lbs. I have some
10 lb.
line which measures .010" in diameter, perfect for truss rods. I'd
just buy
a couple of sizes and check them when you get home.

Grandt Line has brass turnbuckle but also plastic ones. With fishing
monofilament, you can glue the turnbuckle to ends of pieces of
monofilament
as Ted mentioned in a recent RMC article. You can also thread the
monofilament into the ends of the turnbuckle and then carefully
heat the cut
ends with a match to create a "blob" which won't fit back through
the
turnbuckle.

Jack Burgess
www.yosemitevalleyrr.com

I agree with Jack about the fishing line. Another small, but nice,
benefit is if you are careful when you paint the clear line and the
turnbuckle you get a clear space in the middle which gives the look
of two separate trussrods being connected as opposed to a solid
single rod. If you position the turnbuckle so the opening is visible
from the side it makes for a nice effect.Yyou might have to point it
out to visitors but once they have seen it they will be impressed.
Bill Williams

Not to take away from Jack's post but I believe this method was first
suggested some fifteeen or more years ago by Al Westerfield when he first
introduced his Southern SU truss rod car and made such a suggestion in the
instructions.

Don Valentine