Re: Walthers 50-foot Express Reefer

Ed Hawkins

On Sunday, July 18, 2004, at 11:04 AM, Brian J Carlson wrote:

Ed, and Don, you guys are referring to two different models. The model in the catalog is for Express reefers built in 1957, and owned/leased by REA, ACL, GN, and I think SF.
Brian and Don,
Sorry if I confused the question. The Walthers express reefers of an all steel car represents riveted-side cars built by GATC in 1955 and 1957 for REX only. Any other schemes put on this car are bogus. The ACL had welded side cars built by AC&F circa 1947-48 (as well as REX). These are reportedly coming from Branchline Trains after all their Pullman cars are released. Regarding the trucks on the 1950s GATC cars, I haven't studied their use to the extent that I could offer any useful information about them on other applications.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins