Re: Walthers 50-foot Express Reefer

Tim O'Connor

Ed Hawkins wrote

Sorry if I confused the question. The Walthers express reefers of an
all steel car represents riveted-side cars built by GATC in 1955 and
1957 for REX only. Any other schemes put on this car are bogus.
The San Luis Central, a shortline in central Colorado, leased (or bought)
hundreds of ex-REA reefers in the late 1960's and 1970's for transporting
potatoes. I know it's beyond the scope of the STMFC but Walthers has done
the SLC paint scheme and it is accurate.

Regarding the trucks on the 1950s GATC cars, I haven't studied their
use to the extent that I could offer any useful information about them
on other applications.
I haven't made a close comparison, but some 1950's mail & express cars
built for SP, Rock Island and I think MP had similar looking trucks.