From: "blair kooistra" <wallcloud@...>
To: <STMFC@...>
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2004 4:05 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Red Caboose Kits

Frank Brua wrote:
"I just recived a new dealer newsletter from Red Caboose with the
following information which I am passing on as a public service
announcement:

"Continuing to supply small number of HO kits to modelers leaves us
no alternative but to raise the price of kits by approximately 30%.
Some kits coming in the near future will see small increases but by
mid-September all decorated kits will be priced at approximately
$24.95."

I can't say as I blame em. I mean, the cost of adding metal weights
their
GS gondola kits became so overwhelming they decided to not include
the
thickness- and width-specific weights with the kits--rather than raise
the
rates $.75 per car on a $17.00 kit--because a) it took too much time
tape
the weight into the bottom of the box the kit came in; and 2) the
woman
who
did the taping was complaining of Carpal Tunnel syndome symptoms, and
management decided that rather than deal with the medical condition,
it
was
easier to just eliminate the activity that was causing her the
problem. At
least that's what Red Caboose told me. And then they sold me the
weights
separately for far more than it cost them to add 'em to the kit.

So, now, how much cheaper will unassembled kits cost than assembled
kits?
Or
will we also see the assembled kits increase by 30% as well in the
near
future?

--blair kooistra
fort worth tx