Re: Walthers 50-foot Express Reefer

Don Valentine

Quoting Ed Hawkins <hawk0621@...>:

On Sunday, July 18, 2004, at 11:04 AM, Brian J Carlson wrote:

Ed, and Don, you guys are referring to two different models. The model
in the catalog is for Express reefers built in 1957, and owned/leased
by REA, ACL, GN, and I think SF.
Brian and Don,
Sorry if I confused the question. The Walthers express reefers of an
all steel car represents riveted-side cars built by GATC in 1955 and
1957 for REX only. Any other schemes put on this car are bogus. The ACL

had welded side cars built by AC&F circa 1947-48 (as well as REX).
These are reportedly coming from Branchline Trains after all their
Pullman cars are released. Regarding the trucks on the 1950s GATC cars,

I haven't studied their use to the extent that I could offer any useful

information about them on other applications.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

I don't know who has confused the issue, Ed. Perhaps I did. I "thought"
Brian was refering to the new wood sheathed General American express reefer
that is scheduled for November release from Walthers and is patterned after
the type you had the major piece on in RPC #7 IIRC. That is the car I was
refering to.

Don Valentine