Re: Walthers 50-foot Express Reefer

Richard Hendrickson

On Monday, July 19, 2004, at 05:29 PM, Denny Anspach wrote:

A quick question directed to Ed Hawkins (and anyone else who might
know)-

Main Line models produced for many years a Milwaukee Road URTX
General American Express refrigerator car #48330 that was decorated
with silk screened orange sides, a maroon fascia board lettered THE
MILWAUKEE ROAD , and ??black roof and underframe. The car is
actually pretty handsome , and the decoration, real or bogus looks
quick appropriate.

Athearn apparently copied Main Line and brought out an identical car
in molded plastic.

Ed, in your GARX research, did you find any hint that a car such as
this actually existed? No one yet in the Milwaukee historical fold
has yet been able to substantiate it.
To which Ed Hawkins replied:

I guess I haven't been lucky enough to run across a photo of this car
yet. I don't know what year the car was supposed to be "valid" but I
checked the 1/52 ORER and there are a grand total of two cars listed in
the series 40950-50699 and they are 40' reefers. While I can't say with
absolute certainty, I'd guess the model is something that the
manufacturer thought would sell.
I have two photos of URTX General-American-built 50' wood sheathed express
reefers with yellow-orange sides but they are numbered 3356 and 3371 and do
not have maroon letterboards or Milwaukee Road emblems or lettering. I
assume they were intended to be operated on the MILW, however, as one of
the photos (a color slide) shows the car under catenary on the MILW's
electrified district. FWIW the color of the sides was slightly lighter
than PFE Daylight Orange, as a part of a recently repainted PFE freight
reefer is also visible in the photo.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520