Re: Army boxcars at Mt. Union

CASO <caso@...>

----- Original Message -----
ggg9y@... writes:

<< And speaking of odd military cars, there used to be a whole string of
36' single-sheathed army boxcars sitting among the trees at Mt. Union,
Pennsylvania, hard by the old East Broad Top engine house. These were
standard gauge, and not equipped for overseas operation. I've heard the
area is now a shopping center, so I suppose they are all gone. >>

I always thought those Mt. Union cars looked like those 36' MEC boxcars
that
seemed to be around pretty late. Does anybody know what their heritage
is
(was)? Did the Army get them from the MEC, someone else, or were they
built new
for them?
On close inspection of the cars back around 1995, a couple of the cars had
Bangor & Aroostook heralds peeling through the paint.

Due to their position in the bush, the cars were difficult to photograph:
http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/images/bar-1.jpg

Terry Link
Bramalea, Ontario, Canada
trlink@...