Watervliet Arsenal flat car number 1

Bruce Smith <smithbf@...>

Hello all,

I would like to know if anyone has any additional information on an unusual steam era flat car. This car was lettered "UNITED STATES ARSENAL WATERVLIET NY No.1" and rode on four 3 axle "buckeye" style trucks. The flat appears to be approximately 70 feet in length and was built to carry large guns (ie 16" coast defense artillery). The car was definitely active just prior to WWII and was photographed by both the New Haven (published in Railway Age) and the SP (published in "America's Fighting Railroads") as well as Watervliet Arsenal photographers. I cannot find an ORER entry for this car (which is not that surprising). Any additional inforamtion on this car would be GREATLY appreciated, as I would very much like to model it!

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith V.M.D., Ph.D.
Scott-Ritchey Research Center