Re: HO Scale Truck Alert

Ted Culotta <tculotta@...>

On Jul 29, 2004, at 1:43 PM, Richard Hendrickson wrote:

The model trucks are described as "1934 AAR trucks with Simplex
bolsters"
and carry L-L Canada part number 212560. They're like other L-L Proto
2000
trucks, with sharply molded one-piece frames in engineering plastic
(although they don't have molded-on brake shoes) and die-cast metal
rib-backed wheels on nylon axles.

These new trucks represent ARA/AAR cast steel trucks with integral
journal
boxes, spring planks, and Simplex bolsters.  Aside from the bolsters,
they're typical of many 40 and 50 ton trucks used on North American
freight
cars from the early 1920s through the early 1950s.  The bolster ends
are
distinctive, as they are flat rectangles with prominent "SIMPLEX"
lettering
molded into them, but Simplex bolsters were widely used in both the
U.S.
and Canada, and a bit of work with a file would modify them to
represent
other types of solid-end bolsters.

As there are few good HO scale replicas of cast steel trucks from
this era
with
spring planks - the only ones I know about are made by Accurail and
Model
Die Casting, and the MDC trucks represent an uncommon prototype -
these new
trucks from L-L Canada are a significant addition to the available HO
scale
truck options.  I don't know whether they will be available from L-L
dealers in the U.S., so it may be necessary to smuggle them into the
country from Canada, where the current price is equivalent to $3.25
USD.
It's funny you mentioned these as I ordered some last week to use on an
F&C IC single sheathed car. They should be here at any moment.

Regards,
Ted Culotta