From: Andy Miller [mailto:asmiller@...]
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2004 8:40 AM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: RE: [STMFC] 1911 plug door box car?

Tim,

I'm inclined to say "no". A plug door has to
travel
laterally to unplug.
The door supports on the bottom of this car door
do not seem
to allow for this. Note also that the vertical
rod does not
go all the way to the bottom to a track-riding
lever arm, so
it could not unplug the bottom of the door.

I've seen pictures of a PRR wooden car with a
similar
arrangement. If I can recall where, I will
investigate to
see if that car could have been plug door or did
it too fail
the test at the bottom.

regards,

Andy Miller