Frt Car Weight lettering questions

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

OK, I know I should know this but...

I note that the light weight and load limit total for a frt car is the
maximum permitted weight of the car. Capacity seems less than important, it
being an approximation of the capacity of the car which one might assume to
be the load. I note that the AAR removed the requirement for this term in
1988. A 50 ton car had a maximum load capability of 169,000 lbs. This seems
to equate to an axle loading of 42,250 lbs per axle and I note figures for
various truck capacities are included in the table in the introduction by
Tony Thompson to the 1953 ORER reprint by the NMRA. A typical 50 ton box car
is shown with a load limit of 124500 lbs and a capacity of 100000.

A couple of questions. First, why the capacity at all? Were those
responsible for the load unable to read such numbers as provided by the load
limit?

Next, I note that tank cars don't appear to have a load limit applied to the
car. Capacity is present and gallons...volume I assume...is also evident.
But it would appear that the need for knowing total weight would still be as
necessary as with any car.

Mike Brock