Re: Frt Car Weight lettering questions

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Mike Brock wrote:
I note that the light weight and load limit total for a frt car is the
maximum permitted weight of the car. Capacity seems less than important, it
being an approximation of the capacity of the car which one might assume to
be the load. I note that the AAR removed the requirement for this term in
1988. A 50 ton car had a maximum load capability of 169,000 lbs. This seems
to equate to an axle loading of 42,250 lbs per axle and I note figures for
various truck capacities are included in the table in the introduction by
Tony Thompson to the 1953 ORER reprint by the NMRA. A typical 50 ton box car
is shown with a load limit of 124500 lbs and a capacity of 100000.
Mike, the axle journals are sized for particular loads; that's the maximum load origin. That "typical" box car load limit depends, of course on the light weight. Exercise for the reader: what is the light weight of that car?

Next, I note that tank cars don't appear to have a load limit applied to the
car. Capacity is present and gallons...volume I assume...is also evident.
But it would appear that the need for knowing total weight would still be as
necessary as with any car.
Nope. The light weight is on there so when you weigh a loaded car, you know what to subtract (the shipper only pays for the weight of the cargo). If it's by gallonage, as was normal with tank cars, you could not care less about the weight.

Publishers of books on railroad history