Re: Cuban Freight Cars

Garth Groff <ggg9y@...>

Rich,

The West Indies Fruit & Steamship Co. ran a ferry service from Florida to Havana, and had a modest roster of boxcars and reefers. I believe this was a subsidiary of the Florida East Coast.

I don't know if any cars of strictly Cuban roads ran in the U.S. No Cuban lines are listed in my 1958 ORER, and so it is a sure bet that by then no Cuban cars were interchanged (if they ever were). A check of earlier ORERs might turn up something. From what I've seen in photos, most Cuban equipment was pretty primative and probably wouldn't have met U.S. safety standards.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

richtownsend@... wrote:

Did any Cuban freight cars make it to the US on the pre-Castro car ferries, or was it all US cars?