Re: Cuban Freight Cars

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Garth Groff wrote:
"From what I've seen in photos, most Cuban equipment was pretty
primitive and probably wouldn't have met U.S. safety standards."

It wasn't all crap:
http://www.steamfreightcars.com/gallery/boxauto/cuba17204main.html

Last year at Cocoa Beach, a gentleman from Miami (whose name I should
have written down) had on display a train of Cuban Railway rolling
stock c. 1950s. At first glance, I thought, "great, Brock's letting
fantasy crap wander into the display room." But he had his reference
material at his display, and it showed equipment that was
contemporary with US railroads at the time. There were Fowler
boxcars (nicely done from Westerfield kits), a postwar steel boxcar,
and some other really nice models - all prototype, and none fitting
the caricature of what you would have first expected. I hope he
comes again next year.

Ben Hom