Re: Gun Flats

byronrose@...

Bob,

My comment about car names wasn't intended as Pennsy fact, although I can
see it being taken that way. I was simply stating my description of the
various cars usage, as based on photos and loading diagrams. I have a
gun loading drawing for use with 3 F23s, therefore I consider it to be
thought of as a "gun flat." The F22s had a wood deck just like their big
brothers, the FMs, therefore they appear to be usable as general service
flats, only shorter. I never even thought to see what the MCB or ARA or
AAR listing might be.

The pennsy had a way with words that doesn't always follow logic. Like
calling hopper cars type "G." And yes I know the genesis of the letter
"G" usage. I also don't know how the Pennsy works.

Didn't the Pennsy also use "FG" classes for flat cars built from gons?
Or was it GF for gons built from flat cars? Or all of above? None?

T - t - t - that's all folks.

BSR

On Mon, 15 Jan 2001 23:35:52 -0500 Bob Johnson <bobjohnson@...>
writes:
Byron and list,

While I agree that F22 had a wood floor and F23 had a steel floor, I
do
not agree that F23 was a gun car and F22 was not. All known issues
of
PRR's "Classification of Cars" show F22 as a flat car with center
plate
for twin loads and F23 as a flat car with steel floor. From photos
we
know that the center plate was often removed from F22 cars.

Although one can't necessarily trust the listings in ORER's, it's
interesting to note that from 1913 through 1968 Class F23 was listed
as
a Flat Car of MCB or AAR Mechanical Designation FM - never as a gun
car.

The F22 cars built for PRR Lines East (435287-435400) were first
listed
in the ORER in 1913 as Flat Cars, MCB FM. In 1914 this was changed
Gun & Flat, still MCB FM. By 1916 the description had been revised
Flat & Gun, still MCB FM. In 1924 the MCB Designation was changed
FG. The Flat & Gun description with MCB FG lasted into 1967. By
1968
it was changed to Flat, but the AAR designation was still FG.

Oddly enough, the F22 cars built for Lines West (925526-925535) used
different description. Like the other cars, they started as Flat
Cars,
MCB FM. Starting in 1924 they were described as Gun Cars, but still
MCB
FM. The MCB designation was changed to FG in 1925. The description
was
changed to Flat, Gun in 1927 with MCB FG. This remained in effect
through 1967. There are lots of photos of pairs of F22 cars
carrying
large caliber gun barrels, not published, unfortunately.

Bob Johnson
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.