Re: [Fwd: Cut lever and air line for PM Greenville gondola]

Mark Heiden

Thanks Tom!

Mark Heiden

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas M. Olsen" <tmolsen@U...> wrote:
Mark,

In this particular case, it resembles the cutting lever that is on
the
PRR G26 Gondola on Ted's website. I would say that they are
exactly alike.

Best wishes!

Tom Olsen
7 Boundary Road, West Branch
Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479
(302) 738-4292
tmolsen@u...

Mark Heiden wrote:
Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the response. What sort of underslung cut lever does
it
have? Does it have a shallow bend, like the one on this PRR gon:

http://www.steamfreightcars.com/gallery/gon/prrgon/prr440687main.html

Or does it have a more pronounced bend, like the Detail
Associates
6215 part:

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/229-6215

Thanks,
Mark Heiden
Ottawa, Ontario

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas M. Olsen" <tmolsen@U...>
wrote:

Hi Mark & List,

The Greenville gondolas are listed in the book "Pere Marquette
Revenue

Freight Cars" (Hundman Publishing 2001) on pages 113-114. It
lists

and

describes the circa 1944 70-Ton Greenville gondolas that came to
the

Pere Marquette in series 18850-18949 and became the last order of
70-Ton

gondolas bought by the railroad.

According to the text, the cars were equipped with Westinghouse
air
brakes, Miner Draft Gear, Dreadnaught drop ends, Blaw-Knox brake
steps

and a Universal Pump Handle hand brake. It states that these
cars

were

never modified and were two feet longer inside than those built
in

the

previous order from Bethlehem Steel in 1941.

The photograph of the "B" end of the car on page 114 clearly
shows

the

brake handle and the air hose mounting. The air hose and angle
cock is

attached to the main reservoir pipe which comes through a hole in
the

car end sill. A short piece of steel angle is riveted
horizontally

the end sill just above the sill opening to secure the main
reservoir

pipe. The cutting lever for this car is of the under slung type,
rather

than the more common over mounted type.

In addition, there is a lettering diagram for this group of
gondolas on

Page 167. There is also a reference to a general arrangement
drawing of

this car to be found on page 170 of the 1949-51 Car Builders'
Cyclopedia.

For those interested, the earlier order of 70-Ton gondolas from
Bethlehem are listed in the chapter just before the Greenville
cars

and

there is also a lettering diagram for this group in the book.
This

book

is a good addition to anyone's freight car reference library.

Thomas M. Olsen
7 Boundary Road, West Branch
Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479
(302) 738-4292