Re: Loose ends

Richard Hendrickson

I asked a conductor friend about a couple of questions that were
brought up on this group.
1) Back in plain bearing days did you repair hot boxes on site? Answer,
We didn't carry the equipment....
True, no doubt, on many RRs. But out west, where freight trains ran
hundreds of miles in a day and it was often a long way between sidings,
spare brasses and suitable jacks were routinely carried in caboose tool
boxes. On the Santa Fe (and, I'm pretty sure, the UP and SP as well), the
equipment necessary to replace brasses was part of the inventory on every
caboose, and conductors were responsible for making sure it was there
before every trip.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520