Re: C&I Hoppers Getting around -- CV Local Freight

Tim O'Connor

Tim Gilbert wrote

Some customers on the Rutland may have received Pocahontas Coal,
but the routing was rail to the Hampton Roads, and then by ship to
either New York, Albany, Boston or another New England port where
it would be transshipped into a hopper owned by either a home road
in the port. This is the reason that both the B&M and New Haven
owned hoppers.
Tim, what kind of facilities existed (and where) in New England for
transloading of coal from ships to rail? I'm just curious. I know
that even today there is some bulk oil reloading into rail cars from
barges, as well as cement transloading.

New England could receive West Virginia coal directly via the New
York Central's intrusion into C&O territory... that is probably
another reason why C&O cars were so rare in New England. And the
N&W too, for the same reason. Not that the N&W needed the extra
business!