Re: C&I Hoppers Getting around -- CV Local Freight

Tim O'Connor

I have seen photos of C&I, C&EI, MONON (composite types), WABASH,
LV, GN, NP, NYC, and many other lines. As of yet no photos of N&W
hoppers in southern Minnesota have surfaced. That might be because
N&W hoppers operated on a tightly controlled movement from mine to
ship and never wandered much off line.
More likely it has something to do with the grade of coal mined
along the N&W... N&W cars definitely did go off line, especially to
customers requiring high grade metallurgical coal. Along the lines
of what you wrote above, I have seen pictures of C&O hoppers in Iowa
and Reading hoppers in Wisconsin. And yes, an N&W hopper in Montana
on the Milwaukee Road...

Like the C&O, the N&W had both huge eastbound and westbound volumes
of coal. It didn't all go down to Norfolk! In West Virginia along
either road it was (and is) common for loaded coal trains to pass
in opposite directions.