Re: C&I Hoppers Getting around -- CV Local Freight

Richard Townsend

Searsport, Maine for one, with a big transshipment facility. It is still there and just improved. See http://www.maineports.com/water_searsport.html

"cf5250" <@timboconnor> wrote:

Tim, what kind of facilities existed (and where) in New England for
transloading of coal from ships to rail? I'm just curious. I know
that even today there is some bulk oil reloading into rail cars from
barges, as well as cement transloading.

New England could receive West Virginia coal directly via the New
York Central's intrusion into C&O territory... that is probably
another reason why C&O cars were so rare in New England. And the
N&W too, for the same reason. Not that the N&W needed the extra
business!

--
Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon