B&O hoppers near NY City

ed_mines

--- In STMFC@..., Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@c...> wrote:
Anthracite from Pennsylvania was sold all over the country,and
exported to other countries as well. It was the fuel of
choice for home heating. Quite a lot of it was shipped in
box cars.

I think there was a cost premium for anthracite which got more
expesive farther from the source. Besides metalurgical coal I wonder
how far anthracite dealers went from eastern PA.

I remember reading that anthracite coal companioes sponcered radio
programs. I wonder if those were national broadcasts?

Tim also wrote "Considering that the B&O served New York City (via
car floats)along with PRR, LV, Erie, Reading, and CNJ, I'd be amazed
if there weren't photos showing B&O hoppers in that area."

Erie around New York City was a poor choice of words. I should have
said eastern end of Erie or New York district. This would have
included Erie in New Jersey and up to Port Jervis or Binghamton. As
mentioned soft coal was mined near near the New York Pennsylvania
border south of Buffalo.

Ed