Re: Coal into New England

Eric Hansmann <ehansmann@...>

Ted Culotta wrote:

I have a slightly different angle on Marty's New England coal
discussion. I am more familiar with the New Haven. The NH received
lots of anthracite in foreign road hoppers via the gateway at Maybrook.
Reading, LV and LNE hoppers were commonplace with D&H and some Erie
sprinkled in as well. PRR hoppers were numerous (H21 types, as Marty
has seen), as one would expect. I have also seen lots of NYC hoppers
in photos, particularly the USRA 70-ton types. Hoppers from the B&O,
N&W and WM were rare, but not unheard of. Like Marty, I cannot recall
ever seeing a C&O car in photos. Regarding the NH's fleet of USRA
hoppers, it is interesting to me, that while they served the coal
industry at online points of transloading from barge, they also are
frequent "guests" in photos from the Harrisburg area. I wonder if this
is because they were sent for loading for NH company service or because
they were captured by the Pennsy.

While you ponder the appearance of those cars in New England, I've pondered
the appearance of New Haven and Lehigh Valley hoppers on the Western
Maryland Railway in the northern West Virginia coal fields. I've discussed
this a few times with Max Robin (who is probably lurking here somewhere...).
Strings of New Haven hopper cars were being loaded at a mine on the Coal &
Iron line south of Elkins for about a decade. Lehigh Valley cars show up in
photos taken around Belington, W. Va. Possibly there was a special contract
to a user on these railroads, or possibly company coal.

In another instance, cars from the Rainey Wood Coke Company and the Alan
Wood Steel Company were frequent visitors to WM rails. I suspect there was a
metallurgical attraction to the coal from certain mines along the WM.

It can add up to a varied coal train consist, depending on the era.

Eric Hansmann
Morgantown, W. Va.