Re: Inside bearing freight trucks?

prr6380

Pennsy had a group of quad hoppers equiped with them. Railroads
didn't want them in interchange at the time because of lack of parts.

Walt Stafa

- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Payne" <deanpayne@a...> wrote:

OK, here's a really odd one: is there any way to make an inside-
bearing freight truck? The Timken Company made some inside roller
bearing trucks way back in the 30's, and put them on a few
experimental cars that did not travel far from home. They stayed
on
the Wheeling and Lake Erie, as far as I know, but perhaps there
were
other examples that ran on other lines. Does anyone know of any
instances? The appearance was unusual, of course, just the wheels
with no external frames at all. There were brakes, of course, but
nothing outside of the wheel faces.
So, while I doubt than any such trucks are available in HO, can
they
be created using... what, leading truck wheels (inside-bearing) off
of a loco and Kadee brake hardware?? The diameter of leading truck
wheels appears to be close, at least on my Bachmann Consolidation.
don't know if those parts are available separately or if I can go
a detail parts mfgr...
Dean Payne