Re: Coal into New England

Ted Culotta <tculotta@...>

On Oct 2, 2004, at 5:01 PM, Eric wrote:

Marty wrote:

"As I understand it the dealer would mix these in the truck (so much of pea, so much of egg for
example) and sell that as a customized blend."

What would the purpose of this be? If the coal is basically the same type what would the reasoning
for mixing different sizes?

I'd think that different sizes would be used based on the different characteristics of the boiler
units burning it.

I don't see how mixing sizes makes sense.
Eric:

I would guess that one of the most important rules in chemistry and other sciences is at work here. Assuming equal composition, for equal weights, the smaller sized coal would have greater surface area and therefore burn at a faster rate, meaning a hotter fire, or am I way off base here?

Regards,
Ted Culotta