Re: Coal into New England

Schuyler Larrabee

Ted Culotta:
I would guess that one of the most important
rules in
chemistry and other sciences is at work here.
Assuming equal
composition, for equal weights, the smaller
sized coal would
have greater surface area and therefore burn at
a faster
rate, meaning a hotter fire, or am I way off
base here?

I can't find the reference book I want, but I
think you're at least in a rundown between first
and second . . .

The usual formulas relating to spheres (yeah, I
know they're not true spheres, but close enough)
involve 4/3rds of R, so as R increases the volume
gets bigger faster.

The reason I agree that mixing sizes of coal makes
little to no sense is that the grates it's placed
on have openings sizes related to the size of the
coal. Pea coal would fall right through the
grates designed for lump or egg coal. Not
desireable.

SGL