color of Erie/URTX reefer

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

John Greedy writes-

> As to color, the early URTX steel reefers
appear to be a
> yellow/orange that may be represented with DRGW
"harvest gold".

> John Greedy
Bob Kutella replies-

As much as we would like there to one color for any particular
railroad or scheme, the evidence points to the opposite. There are
several similar reefers at IRM that were assigned to MILW - which most
assume were deep and very orange. But as you peel off the differeing
layers of paint it gets lighter to a definite yellow-orange, and then
back to a darker more pure orange. At each repaint, things changed
ever so slightly. Maybe that is more typical of a car leasing outfit
vs. a railroad who might be trying to maintain their corporate
identity, but we have seen such changes in many cars as we go through
the steps to restore them.
Bob is correct in presenting his evidence that the leasing companies
to the greatest extent would not be likely to be greatly concerned
with painting their cars to accommodate the lessee's corporate
liveries.

That said, what Bob says does not negate John's authoritative comment
that the early URTX steel reefers seemed to be painted originally a
yellow/orange similar to D&RGW Harvest Gold. What evidence exists
seems to point to directly to this conclusion.

Denny

--
Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento