Re: Wooden Running Boards - Dates

Tim O'Connor

Jerry,

Southern Pacific alone took delivery on nearly 6,000 box cars from
1940 to 1942 with metal grid running boards. Also the 1,000 R-40-14's
built during the war were so equipped. All of the C&NW and NKP War
Emergency box cars were equipped with metal grid running boards.
Perhaps other people can cite other batches of cars built with them
prior to 1944 -- when they became required equipment.

Tim O.

Richard, I hate taking you to task about this. But it is
not really true. Metal "open gride" running boards started
to appear on new and rebuilt equipment in the "very" late
1930's, I don't think some of the manufactures got into
offering them until early in the year of 1940 (Morton,
here in Chicago was one) from what I have read in Railway
Age. It's misleading to say that they appeared in significant
numbers prior to the end of WWII, as very few new and
rebuilt cars entered the ranks from 1940 until near the
end of the war.

Regards, Jerry Stewart
Chicago, Ill.