Re: wooden coke cars

Richard Hendrickson

Phil Buchwald wrote:

...Westerfield's site makes reference to the drop bottom doors on the
MILW's 36 foot stock cars possibly being used to haul coke. I wonder
how well that scheme worked: putting (hot?)coke into a wood car.
From just after the turn of the century until the mid-1920s, the Santa Fe
ordered thousands of new stock cars which had Caswell drop bottom doors and
longitudinal roof hatches for the loading of coke, so that the cars could
earn backhaul revenue instead of being returned to the west empty.
Apparently this was a successful arrangement until coke was largely
replaced as an industrial fuel in the 1930s and '40s. Then beginning in
the late 1930s most of these cars were rebuilt with solid floors and roofs.
Whether the coke was loaded hot I can't say, though it seems unlikely.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520