Re: Wooden Running Boards - Dates

Richard Hendrickson

--- In STMFC@..., Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@o...>
wrote:
"Metal grid running boards began to appear in significant numbers in
the
late 1930s."

Richard, I hate taking you to task about this. But it is
not really true. Metal "open gride" running boards started
to appear on new and rebuilt equipment in the "very" late
1930's, I don't think some of the manufactures got into
offering them until early in the year of 1940 (Morton,
here in Chicago was one) from what I have read in Railway
Age. It's misleading to say that they appeared in significant
numbers prior to the end of WWII, as very few new and
rebuilt cars entered the ranks from 1940 until near the
end of the war.
This message arrived while Sandra and I were out running a sports car rally
in her 1970 MG-B (in this year's first serious rain in Southern Oregon -
barometer 29.3 and snow on the mountains above 3,000 ft. - maybe an early
ski season. But I digress). Both Tony Thompson and Tim O'connor defended
me while I was away from the keyboard, for which I thank them, and Tony
aptly pointed out that the issue here is what is meant by "significant
numbers". Many railroads tried steel running boards on at least one or two
new car orders between 1936 and 1944 and by the early '40s the railroads
that had settled on steel running boards as standard practice for house
cars included not just the NKP and C&NW, as Tim mentioned, but RRs as
diverse as the Alton, B&LE, EJ&E, GM&O, MoPac, NC&StL, N&W, and WM. That
adds up to a lot of cars - what I'd call a "significant number." YMMV, of
course.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520