Re: Naval Gun movement pre and during WW II

Bruce Smith <smithbf@...>

On Oct 20, 2004, at 8:39 PM, Kevin Lafferty wrote:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the 6 and 8 inch cruiser
guns
were shipped by rail?
Kevin,

Indeed they were... after all, we're talking about a country prior to
the majority of the interstate highway system's construction. Given
that the barrels were smaller and lighter than the really big guns, it
is likely that they were shipped on single regular duty flat cars
rather than the "gun flats" (although some of the bigger medium guns
may have required heavy duty cars). I would be curious to see photos
of any of these medium guns in transit.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL
http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin
Franklin
__
/ &#92;