Re: Wooden Running Boards - Dates

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Jerry Stewart writes:
Maybe I wrong here, but I though that the PFE R-40-14
steel refrigerator cars built by PC&F just prior to the start
of the WWII had wood running boards, not steel open grid
type when delivered? Perhaps Tony Thompson can help us here,
also it might be interesting to find out how may wood running
board SP 1937 AAR steel box cars delivered prior to the war
and 1940 were also delivered with wood running boards?
PFE tried out the Apex running board as soon as it came out in 1939 (on five cars of R-40-10) and must have been delighted, as the following class, R-40-14, was so equipped. See page 167, PFE book.
Tim has correctly answered the SP question.

Publishers of books on railroad history