From: pullmanboss [mailto:tgmadden@...]
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2004 10:55 AM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Too rich for me

--- In STMFC@..., Larry Smith <wooddale@b...> wrote:
I just saw the notice for the new N&W boxcars. They are too
expensive
for me to even look at. At $45 for an unassemble kit has the
resin
market gone too far. This is $10 more then Westerfield and
Sunshine. I
know what is involved with getting a resin kit to market and the
costs
involved because I'm working with a company right now and doing
the
patterns for a new kit. Sorry guys but it is narrow gauge, which
has an
even more limited market then the N&W cars, and it won't be sold
for
anywhere near $45.

Sorry but this kit straps my budget so I won't be getting any of
them.

Would your opinion have been different if these particular cars were
on your "must have" list, or are you just commenting that $45 is too
much for a resin freight car, regardless? Al and Martin have
multiple offerings at all times, plus a pretty good feel for what
their markets are. Their production runs are "hundreds" and up.
Don't know what this new company intends regarding quantity, but I'd
certainly take it slow until I found out what the demand was - and
price the product so the break-even point was around 100 kits and I
could stay in business.

Personally, I think it's great that there's a market for more
expensive, limited run resin kits like these N&W offerings and Jon
Cagle's SC&F Harriman head end cars.

Tom Madden

Yahoo! Groups Links