Re: Troop Sleepers

byronrose@...

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001 12:56:05 -0600 "Bruce F. Smith V.M.D., Ph.D."
<smithbf@mail.auburn.edu> writes:
Hi All,

I was wondering if any of you might have information regarding WWII
era
Troop Sleepers and Kitchen cars manufactured by Pullman and ACF
respectively. I have seen the available info at the Cannonball site
(selling HO kits) and the NEB&W site. I am particularly looking for
diagrams of the underside of the car to locate steam and brake
lines.
Bruce,

MR published a drawing of a Troop Sleeper converted to a service car
several years back. I don't have a copy handy for the date but I'm sure
it will surface via some kind soul. The drawings included an excellent
underbody view showing all the structural members and full brake rigging,
both AB sets worth. I'd say it was indispensable to your efforts.

There are more than several troop cars still in existence, at least that
I am aware of. One is at Union Bridge, Maryland, in the WM Hist Soc
collection, an almost virginal car with all its windows intact and riding
on AFC trucks. Another is closer to DC in a small station display along
with other freight and passenger cars and a small steam lokie. It is in
about the same condition as the WMHS car. And one at Illinois Ry Museum.

I am told a troop sleeper resides at the B&O musuem in Baltimore
(Their web
site is next to useless) - anyone have photographs?

I know that the Southeastern R museum in Duluth Ga (atlanta) has a
Kitchen
car - I have photos and will be back there soon to craawl all over
that sucker!
How about photos documenting the underframe structure and brake systems?

Any other information that you think might be helpful would be most
welcome
- I'm building up a train of the Cannonball cars and am at the
detailing stage

Happy Rails
Bruce
Bruce, if that's the same Cannonball kit I saw at Mitchells last fall,
why would you waste your time on it? The rivets look like flattened
grapefruit halves and the panel line are non existent. It's almost
criminal that someone capable of producing scale size rivets hasn't done
this car yet. Of course, that statement leaves InterMountain out,
doesn't it? But I have been hearing rumors that it will be produced by a
capable manufacturer in the not to distant future. Let's all hope.

Byron Rose
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.