Re: ATSF Sk-U

Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...>

Darren Plants wrote:
"I just started my first resin stock car, a Sunshine ATSF Sk-U. After
spending the better part of my Saturday evening cleaning flash out of the
slats, I need somebody to remind that this hobby is fun."

The flash cleanup is always the toughest part of a resin stock car kit, and
given the lack of variety available in injection molded plastic kit (even
with the new Intermountain Santa Fe models), a necessary evil.

"I have a couple of questions for the collective wisdom here. First, it
appears the Accurail "Bettendorf" truck would be correct for this car. Can
anyone confirm or correct this?"

Yes, as confirmed by the builder's photo of ATSF 60543 on page 25 of Frank
Ellington's "Stock Cars of the Santa Fe Railway".

"Second is regarding the color of the roof. The PDS with the kit says " a
black (roof) color became predominate in the fifties. It is not clear that
the anti-skid surface was always applied" Richard Hendrickson's article in
RMJ states "this was not standard practice on stock cars, most of which had
mineral brown roofs." I can't seem to find a clear shot of the roof from my
era (1956). Can anyone provide some more specific info?"

According to Richard Hendrickson's "Santa Fe Railway Painting and Lettering
Guide for Model Railroaders," "Mineral brown paint with coarse red-brown
granules sprinkled onto it while wet began to replace anti-slip black in
1951." I didn't turn up any color overhead views c. 1956; color photos in
the Morning Sun ATSF Color guide taken in the late 1960s and early 1970s
show either mineral red roofs or unpainted galvanized roof panels with
mineral red carlines.

Ben Hom