Re: ATSF Sk-U

Ted Culotta <tculotta@...>

On Oct 24, 2004, at 6:52 PM, Steve Sandifer wrote:

Of the color still photos I have seen, I have yet to see an ATSF stock car with a black roof. Of course, most of the color photos come from the late 50s and 60s when the black roof would have been uncommon anyway.

I have reviewed a color film tonight made from 1947. One scene taken from a cupola shows two stock cars which are clearly "weathered black" to my eyes. Most shots are from the ground which makes determining roof color difficult, but they do appear black in many cases.

The Santa Fe Painting and Lettering Guide states, "Mineral brown paint with coarse red-brown granules sprinkled onto it while wet began to replace anti-slip black in 1951, but black car cement with either black or red-brown granules continued to be applied to some car rooms for several years in the early to mid-fifties."

For 1956, I would suggest that either would be appropriate. If you are doing a heavily weathered car, have a black roof. If you are doing a newly repainted car, do it solid mineral brown. In either case, the roof walk would be mineral brown.
This thread is interesting as I recently completed a Westerfield Sk-2 along with some other stock cars for the next installment for RMC. I used Richard Hendrickson's article in the August 2004 RMJ for guidance. He wrote the following: "During the period from 1930 to the mid-1970s, other Santa Fe house cars with metal roofs had their roofs coated with black car cement and anti-slip granules , and some stock cars may have also received this treatment. However, available evidence indicates that this was not standard practice on stock cars, most of which had mineral brown roofs." After having already masked my Sk-2 to paint the roof black, I read this and gleefully removed the masking tape.

Regards,
Ted Culotta