Re: Cal Scale (Bowser) AB brakes

rwitt_2000 <rmwitt@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "Jeff Coleman" <Bbear746@a...> wrote:

Finally the air tank casting in the Cal Scale/Bowser kit is
a lot larger than the one from Tichy.Are they both accurate or is one
oversized or undersized?

Ed
I'm curious about this question myself. While we're at it, has
anyone
else noted a deterioration in the quality of the Tichy brake
casting
set? I'm seeing alot more flash these days. At one time therre
was
no
flash at all.
Pierre Oliver

I measured a prototype reservoir this morning at work. It is
411/2" long (includes the lugs) and 19" across at the seam. From
what I see the Cal-Sacle is a few inches short and an inch to wide.
The Tichy is a few inches long and maybe inch to narrow. Looks like
both are incorrect but only a little. I'll contenue to use both,
whatever I have on hand.
Jeff Coleman
I started to compare many of the brake sets available including
those from kits (Athearn and even some old Varney), but never
finished it. I do recall there are large variations in the size of
all the components: cylinders, reservoirs. and valves.

I do recall that the valve in the current Bowser/Cal Scale set is
now a "blob" compared to the original castings introduced in the
1960s. They also no longer provide the "dirt collector".

When I return home I will try to briefly summarize the differences.

The set from Grandt Line may be one of the better ones available,
but not inexpensive.

Bob Witt