Re: American Gas tankcar

Ian Cranstone

On 2-Nov-04, at 1:43 PM, Clyde Williams wrote:

Can anybody tell me if the Life-Like American Gas, MPLX, tank car is
authentic or fictional? I can find no references in the 1943 ORER,
the RPCycs, or in any of Richard's articles. It could, of course, be
a post WWII company, possibly from a merger or buy out, but I would
like to know for sure.
The MPLX reporting mark belonged to the Mexican Petroleum Corp. from sometime prior to July 1923 through the October 1954 issues of the Official Railway Equipment Register. It was acquired by the American Oil Co. at that time, and was eliminated in the April 1961 issue. Sounds like it might be a post-war car.

Ian Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada
lamontc@...