Re: Mobilgas Three-Dome Tank Car numbers Needed.

Ian Cranstone

On 18-Nov-04, at 8:19 PM, Richard Hendrickson wrote:

Tom, this is a classic example of the old saying about the evil that men do
living long after them. So far as I have been able to determine, there was
only one car that ever bore that P/L scheme, which was applied only briefly
for some sort of static display. Apparently, neither that car nor any
others ever operated in revenue service with the P/L you describe. In
fact, I can find no record in the ORERs that the SOVX reporting marks were
ever actually issued to Socony-Vacuum of New York (other Mobil tank cars
were operated under the reporting marks of the company's midwestern
affiliates until the entire fleet was combined under SVX reporting marks in
the 1950s).
I'll second Richard's comment about SOVX reporting marks not being found, as I've probably looked through even more ORERs than Richard has on this topic (see: www.nakina.net/report.html for the list). They may turn up yet, but obviously were very short-lived if they do.

I did however find SVOX reporting marks listed as belonging to Socony-Vacuum Oil Co. Inc., Eastern Region as of 4/1947.

Ian Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada
lamontc@...